Book Title: Poor Students, Rich Teaching: Mindsets for Change (Data-Driven Strategies for Overcoming Student Poverty and Adversity in the Classroom to Increase Student Success)
Publisher: Solution Tree Press
Author: Eric Jensen
First in a two-book series
Growing up with his share of adverse childhood experiences, Eric Jensen knows firsthand the relationship between student poverty and education and the importance of rich teaching for economically disadvantaged students. Discover practical and data-driven strategies to ensure college and career readiness for all students, regardless of socioeconomic status. This thorough resource details the necessary but difficult work that teachers must do to establish the foundational changes essential for overcoming adversity and positively impacting students from low-income families. Organized tools and resources are provided to help teachers effectively implement these essential changes and create a positive classroom environment. Access the complete resources by pairing this resource with its companion, Poor Students, Richer Teaching.
Full of ideas that can be easily implemented in any classroom, this book will help you:
- Understand the urgency of poverty in the United States and how poverty affects education, student engagement, and academic achievement.
- Learn how creating a positive school culture and a growth mindset for students can be beneficial in overcoming adversity.
- Gain four powerful mindsets in the classroom setting to bring change: the relational mindset, achievement mindset, rich classroom climate mindset, and the engagement mindset.
- Build effective teacher-student relationships, and help students see achievement as a reachable target.
- Create a welcoming classroom climate where all students love to learn and are engaged for success.
Chapter 1: Why Should You Care About Poverty?
Chapter 2: Why Should You Embrace Change?
Part One: Why the Relational Mindset?
Chapter 3: Secrets of the Relational Mindset
Chapter 4: Personalize the Learning
Chapter 5: Connect Everyone for Success
Chapter 6: Show Empathy
Chapter 7: Lock in the Relational Mindset
Part Two: Why the Achievement Mindset?
Chapter 8: Secrets of the Achievement Mindset
Chapter 9: Set Gutsy Goals
Chapter 10: Have the Right Attitude
Chapter 11: Give Fabulous Feedback
Chapter 12: Persist With Grit
Chapter 13: Lock in the Achievement Mindset
Part Three: Why the Rich Classroom Climate Mindset?
Chapter 14: Secrets of the Rich Classroom Climate Mindset
Chapter 15: Engage Voice and Vision
Chapter 16: Set Safe Classroom Norms
Chapter 17: Foster Academic Optimism
Chapter 18: Lock in the Rich Classroom Climate Mindset
Part Four: Why the Engagement Mindset?
Chapter 19: Secrets of the Engagement Mindset
Chapter 20: Engage for Maintenance and Stress
Chapter 21: Engage for Setup and Buy-In
Chapter 22: Engage to Build Community
Chapter 23: Lock in the Engagement Mindset
Also see the follow-up resource, Poor Students, Richer Teaching.